In case you have some free time for reading this week, here’s a list containing an assortment of interesting research articles and stem cell headlines. I’ve thrown some oddballs in there too including one article from May 1983, when I was just finishing up junior high. No, I didn’t write it. And no the headline for this current blog post is not referring to stem cell-themed pubs where you can go get some ale made from stem cells, but that’s not a bad idea, right?
Yeah, it’s been one of those long, busy weeks and it’s only Friday. And from the TGIF archives a piece from last year including stem cell soup, Kim Kardashian, and zombies.
And now the list.
- Nature weighs in on CIRM’s future with California’s $3-billion bet on stem cells faces final test. I’ll be posting on this soon too.
- The whole tooth from CNN: Are baby, wisdom teeth the next wave in stem cell treatment?
- Cancer and Stem Cell Growth Encouraged by the Same Gene
- Cancer-causing DNA is found in some stem cells. Not so sure about this headline’s wording. When I first saw it I thought they meant something like added-in DNA, but they mean mutations. I think the public knows what mutations are. Plus, it’s not clear that these mutations actually cause cancer in stem cells specifically.
Research & other journal articles
- Cool article from McDevitt lab on making important, special kind of spinal neuron from stem cells. Hope for SCI. Differentiation of V2a interneurons from human pluripotent stem cells. See Figure 5H from that paper above.
- Single-Cell RNA-Seq Analysis Maps Development of Human Germline Cells and Gonadal Niche Interactions
- DUSP9 Modulates DNA Hypomethylation in Female Mouse Pluripotent Stem Cells
- Low Dose Radiation Causes Skin Cancer in Mice and Has a Differential Effect on Distinct Epidermal Stem Cells
- Induction of Expansion and Folding in Human Cerebral Organoids
And the one from 1983, Stem Cell is a Stem Cell is a Stem Cell. But is it? This reminds me of a fake journal name I came up with some time ago I imagine someone doing as a knockoff of the real top stem cell journal Cell Stem Cell. The fake journal name?
Stem Cell Stem Cell
My whole crazy list of fake and maybe future real stem cell journals with wacky names is here. Good for a laugh.