The CIRM Board went ahead today and voted in favor, in principle, of the proposed changes in response to the IOM recommendations. It seems to be a non-binding vote at some level since the Board will vote again in March after more review.
Important questions remain:
- What does the vote today really means if the Board will vote again in March?
- Will amendments be allowed?
- How much will public feedback be incorporated into a final decision?
- Could parts of the proposal ultimately be approved and others rejected?
- What exactly would the 1-year trial period mean and would CIRM have to re-vote on the elements of these changes?