What are the best stem cells journal resources in 2022 and is there a stem cell journal list out there? I seem to have the only list, other than Google itself.
I’ve covered this topic for many years. In this post I have updated the material from over the years and dug more deeply into the question.
Looking for a stem cell journal? A regenerative medicine journal more focused on translation and clinical applications? Something more molecular or cellular? Developmental?
Where to go for unbiased info?
What about stem cells journal impact factors?
Some folks are trying to discount impact factors but scientists still focus a lot on impact factor.
If you need to publish your latest exciting stem cell manuscript or are wanting to read some stem cell and regenerative medicine articles, you need a stem cell and regenerative medicine journal list, and I’ve got the one for you. Google is also pretty helpful when searching for stem cell and regenerative medicine journals. I’ve posted an image montage from my web search for stem cell journals above.
In today’s post, I also included the name of the Editor where possible.
In 2012, I published my first list of this kind, but somehow eight years have zoomed by. While I have published updated lists in ensuing years, now that it’s 2020, I figured that we need a new, updated list.
Since 2012 and even 2016 some journals have disappeared, while other new ones have popped up. For instance, npj Regenerative Medicine is a new one, but there are others too. According to Scopus, you can see the top 10 journals in terms of quantity of articles published with “Stem cells” in the title. This doesn’t take into account quality of articles or impact.
By the way, if you are looking for a fun, satirical read as well, I also did a satirical post on made up stem cell journals with humorous names. It still cracks me up.
2022 list: stem cells journal info with impact factors
Note that I’m not endorsing these, but thought you’d find the list useful. If you see any you believe to be predatory on this list, please email me. What’s your favorite stem cell journal?
I have tried to include new impact factor (numbers as close to 2021 where possible and other comments reflecting my perspectives on or experiences with journals. Impact factor is a somewhat controversial metric these days, but it’s hard to find some other way to numerically compare journals. If we toss IF, do we just go on reputation within our field as we consider journals?
Keep in mind that broader journals like Science, Blood, PLOS ONE, Nature, Cell, and others publish many stem cell articles too. Also, there are a few stem cell-specific others out there I didn’t include because I haven’t had a chance to read up on them yet.
- Cell Stem Cell Impact Factor 21.4, tough to get into, great staff. Editor Sheila Chari.
- Stem Cells Impact Factor ~5.6, rigorous; fair review process.
- Stem Cells Translational Medicine Impact Factor~5.9, IF on the rise, good experiences here too.
- npj Regenerative Medicine Impact Factor ~ 7.0. As a relatively new journal it has a great impact factor.
- Stem Cells and Development Impact Factor ~3, good experiences.
- Stem Cell Reports Impact Factor ~ 5.5, down from over 7 in 2018. Editor Martin Pera.
- Development Impact Factor 5.8, rigorous, but fair.
- Regenerative Medicine Impact Factor ~2.9, good experiences with editors and reviewers.
- Stem Cell Research Impact Factor up to around 3.9.
- Current Stem Cell Reports Impact Factor 2.0.
- Cellular Reprogramming Impact Factor is 1.4. (used to be called Cloning and Stem Cells)
- Stem Cell Reviews and Reports Impact Factor ~3. Editor Mariusz Ratajczak.
- Journal of Stem Cells Impact Factor unclear.
- Journal of Stem Cells & Regenerative Medicine Impact Factor
- Stem Cells International (couldn’t access website)
- International Journal of Stem Cells Impact Factor unclear.
- World Journal of Stem Cells Impact Factor reported 3.4)
- Stem Cells and Cloning
- Stem Cell Research & Therapy Impact Factor 4.6, which is much higher than I recall in the past)
- Stem Cell Discovery (IF 0.6)
- Stem Cell Biology and Research
- American Journal of Stem Cell Research
Do you have a favorite stem cell or regenerative medicine journal not on this list? Let us know in the comments and say why you like it.
Cell biology journals that often publish stem cell work
Cell Impact Factor 39.7.
Nature Impact Factor 42.8
Cell Reports Impact Factor 8.1
Molecular Cell Impact Factor 15.6
Cancer Cell Impact Factor 26.6
Nature Cell Biology Impact Factor 20.0