I’ve tried to find some time to do some stem cell and other regenerative medicine reading too, but it’s been a busy week of teaching for me as a professor in our new academic year for the UC Davis School of Medicine.
I help to teach the Histology part of the first-year curriculum. It’s an intense course that covers just about every tissue in the body and all the different cell types and tissues inside.
Every year I’m struck by the great questions that the students ask related to my lectures or to one of the many labs we have.
I’m also looking forward to giving them my annual lectures on stem cells and regenerative medicine. Maybe I’ll point them to The Niche Stem Cell YouTube channel if they are particularly interested in stem cells. Please check it out too and subscribe if you find it useful.
Below I’ve put one of our more popular videos on analysis of Woolly Mammoth De-extinction efforts.
Recommended regenerative medicine reads
- New web portal gives scientists access to dozens of neurodegenerative disease stem cells, NIA.
- FDA warning letter to Vitti labs, FDA. This is a human umbilical cord and amniotic membrane manufacturer. The products are drugs, says the agency, and need pre-market approval, which they didn’t have. The FDA also noted that the inspection found significant CGMP deviations.
- This warning fits a larger pattern of the agency focusing a lot of effort in the perinatal or birth-related manufacturing space.
- The Alliance for Regenerative Medicine Announces the Appointment of Timothy D. Hunt as Chief Executive Officer, ARM. Hunt is an attorney with extensive experience in health policy.
- Regenerative medicine: postnatal approaches, The Lancet Child & Ado Health.
- Regenerative medicine: prenatal approaches, The Lancet Child & Ado Health.
- Doing the right thing: Harvard researchers retract Cell paper after work contradicts finding, Retraction Watch.
Generation of T-cell-receptor-negative CD8αβ-positive CAR T cells from T-cell-derived induced pluripotent stem cells, Nature Biomed Engin. Go here for more background on CAR T cells.