So many things have gotten very expensive these days that it got me thinking this past week again about stem cell cost. For this reason, I’ve been running polls asking people what they’ve paid for stem cells and how many therapies they’ve gotten. Before jumping into our weekly reads, check out those running polls on stem cell treatment cost. If you’ve had a therapy, please participate in the polls.
I also did a video discussing stem cell therapy cost and that’s up on YouTube so I’ve included it below.
Note that I’m using the term “therapy” loosely for this polling and it likely includes respondents who got things that aren’t proven therapies.
Please subscribe to our channel if you find it useful.
- A mental-health crisis is gripping science — toxic research culture is to blame, Nature. Scientists should feel comfortable and supported doing research in a positive environment. This should be true as people live as their authentic selves too. But there are still big problems including bullying and discrimination.
- Unexpected Death of a Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Patient in an N-of-1 Trial of rAAV9-delivered CRISPR-transactivator, medRxiv Preprint. It’s so sad when trial participants die. Is there something to be learned here?
- A knockout run for CRISPRed cells, Nat. Biomed Engin.
- 3D bioprinting patient-derived induced pluripotent stem cell models of Alzheimer’s disease using a smart bioink, Bioelectric Medicine.
- Scientists Call for Tighter Regulation of Stem Cell Treatments, Technology Networks. There are a whole lot of clinics around the world selling unproven exosome therapy these days.
- Neuralink now says the FDA has given it an okay for doing a trial putting implants into people’s brains.
- From WaPo: Elon Musk’s Neuralink says it has FDA approval for human trials: What to know. Somehow I still wonder about this given all the circumstances. Is it just one participant? Earlier the FDA had denied the Neuralink request.
Cells for MS
Here’s the original research article in JAMA Neurology: Comparative Effectiveness of Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant vs Fingolimod, Natalizumab, and Ocrelizumab in Highly Active Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis.
Also, see my overview of HSCT for MS.